Tuesday 24 May 2011

Just in Case!

     It's true in life that the unexpected can happen any time and as photographers we know we should always have a camera ready to capture 'that' shot. Now it depends on your outlook or your attitude as to what qualifies as news-worthy, also if it will reach the local or even national newspapers.
     Take yesterday for example, there I was sat working away on the computer and outside it was a howling gale and driving rain. Did I mention it was our 30th wedding anniversary? Thank you for all the cards and wonderful gifts... Anyway a car pulls up, sister jumps out and tells me a huge tree has fallen due to the gales, just up the road. I grabbed the camera and off I went. Sure enough there it was. This 30-40 foot tree laying across the road pavement to pavement with still another 15 foot or so in the 'grove' where it once stood.
     Fortunately no one was standing at the bus stop nor indeed any buses, cars, pedestrians or stray bunny rabbits passing to be hurt or even killed. But it made me think about the power of nature.
     Shots in the bag and back to the office. Images downloaded and sized in minutes followed by a call to the local rag and after a quick chat the files were on their way. Although too late to reach yesterday's deadline the news desk was on the blower this morning at 8am for the details.
     There are two moral's to the story. One was I had my camera ready. Batteries charged, fresh card in the slot and metering etc all set. All I had to do was grab my coat, car key's and I was off.
     The other is the 'free' publicity that may come from it. Picture's by 'John Devlin Photography'! Hey that chap lives in Billingham. He done our daughters wedding. Our son's getting married next year. I'll give him a ring...

No comments:

Post a Comment